Date:      Sat, 07 Oct 2000 04:47:04 GMT
From:      "Terje Oseberg" <oseberg@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Apache vhosts question

I am trying to set up name-based virtual hosts on apache 1.3.12.  No matter
how many
hosts I enter, apache only displays the first one in the configuration file.
  For
example:
Looks to me like you've done everything correct.

Which version of FreeBSD are you using?
Is your system set up with more than one network interface?
Are you running natd?
Is your kernel configured as a firewall?

Have you looked at these posts?
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=1569260+1573987+/usr/local/www/db/text/2000/freebsd-questions/20000910.freebsd-questions
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=1483708+1487458+/usr/local/www/db/text/2000/freebsd-questions/20000910.freebsd-questions
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=827155+832067+/usr/local/www/db/text/2000/freebsd-questions/20000910.freebsd-questions
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=816055+820562+/usr/local/www/db/text/2000/freebsd-questions/20000910.freebsd-questions
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=1481354+1483708+/usr/local/www/db/text/2000/freebsd-questions/20000910.freebsd-questions
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=718521+721742+/usr/local/www/db/text/2000/freebsd-questions/20000910.freebsd-questions
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=863728+867285+/usr/local/www/db/text/2000/freebsd-questions/20000910.freebsd-questions
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=843983+846676+/usr/local/www/db/text/2000/freebsd-questions/20000910.freebsd-questions
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=1475414+1478815+/usr/local/www/db/text/2000/freebsd-questions/20000910.freebsd-questions
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=1559129+1562029+/usr/local/www/db/text/2000/freebsd-questions/20000910.freebsd-questions

Well, to make a long story short, the problem I had was that
I was using a FreeBSD4.0 box with 2 network interfaces. When
someone would make requests to Apache on my box, Apache would
think that they were on the wrong interface. So, acording to
Apache, I had the IP number wrong in my VirtualHost section
of my httpd.conf file. When I added the other ip number to my
config file, it started working.

The easiest way to make sure that you're not haveing any DNS
configuration problems is to telnet directly to the IP and port
number of your server and type in the requests by hand. There
are two GET queries that should work fine.

You should also make a file called x.html in each of your
DocumentRoot's. In there put nothing but your www.mydomain.com
so that you'll be able to tell which x.html file you got.
Telnet to your IP and port, and type exactly the below message,
then hit return twice.

GET http://www.mydomain.com/x.html HTTP/1.0

Or, do a:

GET /x.html HTTP/1.1
host: www.mydomain.com

And, if anyone tells you to mess with your DNS, IGNORE THEM!!!
Cause, if you get anything at all that's on your server, then
you're getting the correct IP number for that domain name. Therefore,
your DNS is set up enough for you to get to where you want, and
therefore CANNOT be the problem.

Terje Oseberg
http://www.reactor-core.org/~oseberg

NameVirtualHost 216.141.207.119

<VirtualHost 216.141.207.119>
    ServerName coyote.broadwing.com
    DocumentRoot /home/www/coyote.broadwing.com
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost 216.141.207.119>
    ServerName codesnake.com
    DocumentRoot /home/www/codesnake.com
</VirtualHost>

So when you go to codesnake.com (fictitious, I hope) I see only
coyote.broadwing.com's
page.  What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for the help, in advance.