Date:      Tue, 23 Sep 2003 11:05:22 -0700
From:      Joe Kelsey <joek@mail.flyingcroc.net>
To:        FreeBSD GNOME Users <gnome@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: gnome-session 2.4 no longer runs $HOME/.gnomerc

Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> Like I said in my previous email, it looks like you'd need to create a
> /usr/X11R6/etc/dm/Sessions .desktop file that has an Exec action of
> customer.  However, in poking through Xsession some more, you should be
> able to achieve a similar behavior to .gnomerc with ~/.Xclients.
> ssh-agent will then be run with:

Choose "Default Session" from the GDM Sessions menu, and it tries to run
~/.Xclients.  This bit of information completely eluded me.  My
.Xclients script consist of

#!/bin/ksh
export SHELL=/bin/ksh
umask 2
echo inside gnomerc
cho ssh agent $SSH_AGENT_PID
if [ -n "$SSH_AGENT_PID" ]
then if [ -f .ssh/identity ]
      then ssh-add < /dev/null
      fi
fi
export DOTGNOMERC=1
export GDK_USE_XFT=1
exec gnome-session

Basically, just an exact copy of my old .gnomerc.  I want to rail
against the gratituitous changing of "features", but since they never
documented the feature to begin with, I guess I cannot complain that
much.  It still bugs me how hard the authors made it to trace down all
of the interrelated information necessary to make one simple change.
Just documenting the location of the dm/Sessions files and suggesting
that you might want to copy Default.desktop to Custom.desktop, changing
the "Exec=default" to "Exec=custom" or even just making the
gnome.desktop provide an Exec string to trigger backward-compatible
behavior in Xsession might have helped.

I *really*, *really* hate the myriad of interconnected, obscure
configuration files that Gnome uses.  It doesn't seem as bad as the
myriad of interconnected shell scripts that CDE uses, but at least with
CDE you can start from the first script and slowly work you way through
all of the interconnected scripts until you find the place you want to
customize.

Did anyone acutally document the *.desktop files somewhere?

/Joe
(Default.desktop give me the behavior I want)