Date:      Tue, 17 Sep 2002 20:56:17 -0400
From:      Bob Johnson <stest030@garbonzo.hos.ufl.edu>
To:        abc@anchorageinternet.org, "freebsd-questions" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: mass storage

On Tuesday 17 September 2002 06:09 pm, abc@anchorageinternet.org appears
to have written:
> i would like to know if "USB auto-connect" "Universal Mass Storage"
> drivers plan to be fully functional at the end of the 4.x FBSD
> release development.  it is my experience that the drivers
> are functionally broken in many instances, and it is my
> understanding that these are published "standards", and
> that all such devices implementing these standards
> should work with the same drivers without problems.

I think your understanding is probably wrong.  Regardless of what is
supposed to be, different devices seem to behave differently.  It
may be that the umass driver could get a little better at automatically
detecting the quirks of individual devices (I think some work has been
done on that recently), but the fact remains that the devices have
individual quirks that need to be dealt with.

> does anyone know of the development plans for these drivers/devices?
> i am asking not only for myself, but also to relate this information
> to others (non-technical ex-windows users) that use freebsd and would
> like to know as well (so they can plan on buying digital cameras,
> etc).

I think it is safe to say that the development plans are to support
them as soon as possible.   Have you ever posted your specific
problems?  If the developers don't know about them, they can't
fix them.

- Bob