Date:      Tue, 11 Feb 2003 09:09:56 -0700
From:      Darren Spruell <darren_spruell@sento.com>
To:        Andrew Lankford <arlankfo@141.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: X problems on i810 | AddScreen/ScreenInit failed

Andrew Lankford wrote:
> To my knowledge, DRI extensions have never worked with i810 on FreeBSD.
>  Whenever I felt tinkering with the config to see I could enable DRI, it
> wouldn't take, but I don't think it ever mucked up my screen.  My video monitor
> did have some trouble with the DDC option (on my stable partition, just after
> I had upgraded the bios), but DDC seems to work ok now.  If you do get it
> working, I would stay with a DefaultDepth of 16 instead of 24, as
> a setting of 24 tends to slow demanding apps down without noticeably improving
> picture quality.  Notice also that the HorizSync and VertRefresh values are
> a tiny bit different on mine as well.
>
> Anyway, here's my XF86Config:
[...]

Aargh. I tried both the changes you suggested, as well as adjusting only
the relevant parts of your config and trying it.. same result in both
cases. I even pulled a Red Hat 7.3 XFree86-4 config off of a working X
station and adjusted paths, etc. Same stupid staticy crap with the white
square ;)

Anyway. I hate getting whooped by something this stupid, but I'm at
wit's end. Any other suggestions?  If not, I found another huddy OEM
Gateway box with a different video card. I've got half a mind to try X
out on it.

--
Darren Spruell
Sento IS Department