Date:      Tue, 8 Sep 2015 22:25:51 -0400
From:      Mark Saad <nonesuch@longcount.org>
To:        Outback Dingo <outbackdingo@gmail.com>
Cc:        Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca>, "freebsd-fs@freebsd.org" <freebsd-fs@freebsd.org>, Rakshith Venkatesh <vrock28@gmail.com>, Jordan Hubbard <jordanhubbard@icloud.com>
Subject:   Re: CEPH + FreeBSD
References:  <CANw0z%2BVhYCPNWrjByXLf8yO9wA0sc05_8eVJsM-McjcGNU9KQg@mail.gmail.com> <CA%2BKW7xQrN60kH37hu2Keja60a0huVjAyP6=SQNSrqus2EUMUMA@mail.gmail.com> <CANw0z%2BXrwK=6y%2BLpoiewc_eLDBYB5UZ5XpU6-YP0-K2FKwSa5w@mail.gmail.com> <A19FDEB5-1DEF-4EBF-8E9E-A1AD4688F1AA@icloud.com> <100306673.40344407.1441279047901.JavaMail.zimbra@uoguelph.ca> <1564D4FA-9BE1-4E37-8E91-F14A009D6B62@icloud.com> <838814506.1858817.1441577912291.JavaMail.zimbra@uoguelph.ca> <F5F89A87-AD10-4CD3-BF56-854EEBB4C121@longcount.org> <CAKYr3zyPxM0oKhgsNoFmkFxn6AFkekS2=ptV7Z6CicTzZvXCdw@mail.gmail.com>

> On Sep 8, 2015, at 9:59 PM, Outback Dingo <outbackdingo@gmail.com> wrote:
>=20
>=20
>=20
>> On Wed, Sep 9, 2015 at 11:31 AM, Mark Saad <nonesuch@longcount.org> wrote=
:
>> All
>>  What about leofs. It's in ports has  and s3 obj store and NFS support ou=
t of the box
>>=20
>>=20
>> http://www.freshports.org/databases/leofs/
>> http://leo-project.net
>=20
> LeoFS supperts NFSv3 and does not have a lock manager....=20
>=20

Well, nlm it's not a hard requirement for most NFS things . NFS is there for=
 direct access of the data . So in its current form it's not a pnfs setup , b=
ut there is no reason it could not be extended .  =20

 Well it could be worse , manta, joyent's compute and storage platform has a=
 NFS server written in node.js . Yes nfs in JavaScript , what else would you=
 expect from them .  :)

---
Mark Saad | nonesuch@longcount.org

> =20
>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
>> ---
>> Mark Saad | nonesuch@longcount.org
>>=20

BSD

S to
>> > Hmm. =46rom a quick look at their web page (I looked once before as wel=
l), I don't
>> > think RiakCS has what I need to do pNFS in a reasonable (for me) amount=
 of effort.
>> > Two things that glusterFS has that I am hoping to use (and I don't thin=
k RiakCS has
>> > either of these) are:
>> > - A Fuse file system interface which allows the kernel nfsd to access t=
he store as
>> >  a file system, so that it can provide the metadata services (NFS witho=
ut the reads/writes).
>> > - A userland NFSv3 server in each node which will allow the node to act=
 as a data server.

>> > If I am wrong and RiakCS does support a VFS file system interface (via =
Fuse or ???), then