Date:      Thu, 29 Apr 1999 11:41:50 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Bryce Newall <data@dreamhaven.net>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@rush.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions List <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: No buffer space

On Wed, 28 Apr 1999, Alfred Perlstein wrote:

> > Apr 28 15:20:01 calico named[13140]: socket(SOCK_RAW): No buffer space
> > available
>
> recompile with a higher maxusers, or do a search on the lists for
> NMBCLUSTERS to find out how to increase them and what the recommended
> increase is.

MAXUSERS was originally set to 64, and that was causing some other
problems, so we went to an extreme and pushed it up to 512.  That was
apparently way too high, and was causing the system to reboot
spontaneously several times a day.  We backed it down to 128, which
stabilized that part, but now we're back to having buffer space problems
again.  NMBCLUSTERS is set to 6000 at the moment... think that's too low?

I searched the mailing lists, and found someone referencing their output
from netstat -m.  Here's what I have:

2194/3136 mbufs in use:
        1001 mbufs allocated to data
        1193 mbufs allocated to packet headers
691/1460/6000 mbuf clusters in use (current/peak/max)
3312 Kbytes allocated to network (50% in use)
0 requests for memory denied
0 requests for memory delayed
0 calls to protocol drain routines

I really don't know what all that means... :)  But it looks like the top
line is saying that 2194 out of 3136 are in use?  Or am I reading that
wrong?  If I'm reading it correctly, would increasing NMBCLUSTERS give me
more room to work?

Thanks in advance!

*       Bryce Newall       *       Email: data@dreamhaven.net        *
*     WWW: http://www.dreamhaven.net/~data    *    ICQ: 32620929     *
*       "Insanity takes its toll.  Please have exact change."        *