Date:      Wed, 26 Jul 1995 17:01:48 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jeff Aitken <jaitken@cslab.vt.edu>
To:        sef@kithrup.com (Sean Eric Fagan)
Cc:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: secure/ changes...

> Did you have anything to say?

Yes ;)  I hit the wrong sequence of keys out of habit and sent the
message when I meant not to.  Sorry.  What I wanted to respond to was:

> > Now, to cover my own butt, I have to add that I'm not a lawyer,
> > nor do I play one on TV or the net.  I *can* read, though, and
> > have read a lot on this subject: often by people who *do* play
> > lawyers on the net.

Although I don't claim to understand much about this whole issue, many
of the net.lawyers (and probably a few real ones too ;) think
Zimmermann is not guilty, but that hasn't stopped the DoJ from
prosecuting him (last I heard).  Perhaps Rodney is simply taking the
position that he isn't willing to risk it, even if it seems like
importing crypto software isn't relaly illegal in all cases.  The
entire FreeBSD core team has gone to great lengths to avoid any further
confrontations with USL, despite the beliefs of many well informed
people who thought their lawsuit was groundless/pointless/useless/
frivilous/etc.  Perhaps that lesson is carrying over into this issue...

Just my $.02

--
Jeff Aitken
jaitken@vt.edu