Date:      Wed, 29 Apr 1998 19:15:53 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
Subject:   locale  (( did this make it out?))

	(( I send this mail mid-afternoon but never saw it on
	   the the list; thus this re-send.  Sorry if it *did*
	   get out and I missed it.)) --gdk
   Hello,

   I'm interested in testing the locale library to see how to
   (for example) print an error messsage or a date in German,
   Danish, Norwegian.  We've got the code in $lib/libc/locate,
   and I see the data in /usr/share/locale, but so far my few
   lines of code aren't doing very much.

   Anyone know how to implement this?

	I probably should add some pseudo-code so that folks
	understand what I'm trying...and fumbling with.

	In main I set the locale to de_DE:

	... setlocale(LC_ALL, de_DE);
	// malloc  struct lconv *lp

	lp = localeconv();

	// then attempt to print the struct members:

                printf ("lp->decimal_point = [%s]\n", lp->decimal_point);
                printf ("lp->thousands_sep = [%s]\n", lp->thousands_sep);
                printf ("lp->currency_symbol = [%s]\n", lp->currency_symbol);

	I realize that several members are initialized to ``empty'';
	but figured that these would be filled.    (??)

	Next, I try to set the TIME, and with fr_FR:

        setlocale (LC_TIME, "fr_FR");
        puts("...Now using strftime()");
        strftime(tbuf, sizeof(tbuf), "%c", localtime(&when));
        printf("tbuf = [%s]\n", tbuf);

	tbuf contains a strictly US English string.  PATH_LOCALE is
	set.   ...I'm obviously missing some steps here;  don't know
	 what.  Anybody??

	thanks,

	gary

--