Date:      Sat, 29 Sep 2001 12:02:21 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        fergus <tofergus@yahoo.co.uk>
Cc:        stable <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: xe (xircom) driver no longer in MAKEDEV

> Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2001 07:59:37 +0100
> From: fergus <tofergus@yahoo.co.uk>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> > does it seem likely that my older card is not working with the 'auto' config
> > line ?
>
> P.S.  it's a CE38-100BTX that's worked before & i've compiled in support in the
> kernel using
>
> -
>
> device xe
>
> -
>
> but don't get an 'if_xe.ko' module.

Fergus,

The xe driver is not available as a loadable module, so you will not
get any if_xe.ko file in /modules. This is also normal.

The most likely problem is in the IRQ assignment. How is your pcic
device configured? Can you provide a dmesg of the system bootstrap.

FWIW, BSD Unix has not ever had network devices in /dev, going back to
BSD 4.2. It's possible that some other flavors of Unix do it
differently, though.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)