Date:      27 Dec 1995 11:41:57 +0800
From:      peter@haywire.dialix.com (Peter Wemm)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Nec cdrom

chuckr@glue.umd.edu (Chuck Robey) writes:

>A friend just dumped an old NEC scsi cdrom in my lap (I didn't argue!)
>and I need a little help in figuring out the back panel option plugs.
>There's only 6 of them, and I know the first 3 are the scsi address.
>Numbers 4, 5, and 6 are marked "usually off", but right now, numer 6 is
>on, so I need to know what they're for.  Any ideas?

>This's a nice Xmas present!

>BTW, Merry Christmas to all of you, and thanks for producing the nicest
>hobby I could possibly imagine!

I have not been able to figure it out either, although jumper 4 seems
to be some sort of diagnostic enable.

I've been fighting with a "Model: CDR-55JD" NEC drive for the last few
days.  This drive and I have reached an understanding.. We both HATE
each other.

The mongrel ^*!&@%#$*!&@^$*&^@%*&!@ thing put a whacking great big
scatch across my brand new 2.1 "live filesystem" CD.. :-(  (The caddy
doesn't quite go in correctly and catches on something causing it to
sit crooked, allowing the edge of the head to scratch it.)

The other thing is that it would not answer the SCSI probes at bootup
unless I disabled parity checking on the controller. :-(  It uses
parity for everything except returning the inquire data.

Oh yeah, it answers to all 8 LUNS as well.

I've committed a patch for my "NEC CD-ROM DRIVE:55" to -current a few
hours ago to stop the extra 7 images being attached, but it needs the
parity turned off in order to match it. :-(

Incidently, with parity enabled, the scsi probe still finds it as a
CDROM and can tell there is a disk in there, and it still reads it
without parity errors, it just wont *&^@!#%$*&!@ probe correctly! :-(

Oh, it identifies itself as firmware version 1.0 as well... :-(

As for the 2.1 CD, a bit of careful polishing has enabled the drive to
read through the scratch OK now... (whew!)

I *hate* that drive...  If the other NEC drives are like it too, I'll
be very reluctant to touch them ever again.

BTW: I, too, would dearly love to know what the other jumpers are for.
I suspect #5 or #6 is termination enable, but I'm not sure.

(I'd dearly love to find out that somebody has a later firmware rev
for this drive that fixes the parity problem. Running with parity
disabled for the last 24 hours is NOT my idea of comforting...  If
somebody could get me a rom image, I can burn my own.)

-Peter