Date:      Tue, 30 Jul 2002 12:58:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ed Yu <edlyu@yahoo.com>
To:        MET <met@uberstats.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Changing my Shell & Customizing the Console

> I'm currently using the default installed shell "sh"
> and was wondering
> how to change my users to the "bash" shell.  I've
> installed it using
> packages so it should be on my machine correctly,
> but that's as far as I
> know.

You can do 'chsh' or simply edit /etc/passwd and
change the last part where the shell is. However, you
do have to make sure the shell you want to use (zsh or
bash) is installed and that it's location is in
/etc/shells. Look at these files and you'll know what
I mean.

> Also, I've connected into a few web servers through
> telnet and have
> noticed that you can create a color-scheme for
> different file types, and
> was wondering how to set this up myself.

Here is the easy way:
1. export TERM=xterm-color (or setenv TERM
xterm-color, depending on your shell)
2. ls -G instead of ls

ed