Date:      Mon, 24 Sep 2001 23:27:35 -0400
From:      Brian T.Schellenberger <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, Louis LeBlanc <leblanc+freebsd@acadia.ne.mediaone.net>
Subject:   Re: Newsreader question - binaries support?

On Monday 24 September 2001 13:59, Louis LeBlanc wrote:

> The cartoons are usually archived into several files using the rar
> archiver.  Each file is then broken up into smaller pieces and posted
> a little at a time.
>
> FreeAgent has some smarts about fetching multipart files, but won't do
> the sorting that makes it so much easier to get the multiple files
> required to get the end product (often a 200+MB mpeg file).  I am told
> that the commercial version of Agent can also watch for messages that
> fit a pattern, so you can not only fetch the messages needed for
> boop.r00, but any of the other 12 or so pieces needed for "Crazy
> Town.mpg".

I use trn, but most all newsreaders can do this part of it:  Just save all
messages with the titel "Crazy Town" to a file (in trn, it's
/crazy town/:s file-name
)

But then instead of demanding that my newsreader have all the decoding
smarts, I use "uudeview" (its in the ports) to break the file up.   It knows
how to get all the parts of multipart files, including sorting them if they
are out of order, and automatically uudecode and/or unbinhex them and/or
un-base64 them and/or un-xxencode them.

You still have to unrar them (or whatever), but it does all the rest, easily
& reliably.  That way you can pick a newsreader that you like interacting
with and not have to pick one based on it's ability to be really smart with
binaries.

--
Brian T. Schellenberger . . . . . . .   bts@wnt.sas.com (work)
                                        http://www.babbleon.org