Date:      Thu, 1 Sep 2022 16:44:48 -0700
From:      Dan Mahoney <freebsd@gushi.org>
To:        paul beard <paulbeard@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: making a disk/slice bootable

> On Sep 1, 2022, at 16:41, paul beard <paulbeard@gmail.com> wrote:
>=20
> I have been mirroring the virtual disk in a FreeBSD vm for a couple of =
years and the main disk got corrupted. The mirrored disk doesn't boot, =
says it can't find a kernel, so I think I missed out on an additional =
step, writing an MBR or boot sector, perhaps.=20
>=20
> The files are all there if I mount them from a VM with FreeBSD.I =
assume there is a way to make a mountable disk bootable.  fdisk and =
gpart are available but it's been a long time since I messed around with =
those.=20

Let's start with the obvious: Can you post your disk layout?  Mirrored =
how?  Gmirror/ZFS/Hardware raid/etc?  MBR or Gpart?

What commands have you tried thusfar?

What does the boot so far look like (i.e. are you hitting the stage 0 =
boot loader, and getting the loader prompt?)

More info required, please, but this sounds very fixable.

-Dan=