Date:      Mon, 24 Feb 1997 01:16:47 +1100 (EST)
From:      Julian Assange <proff@iq.org>
To:        eivind@dimaga.com (Eivind Eklund)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: o [1997/02/01] bin/2634 rtld patches for easy creation of  chroot enviroments

> Not quite.  If we allow users to do this to setuid binaries, they can make
> setuid programs read dangerous config files, and exploit the new behaviour.
>  A really simple example would be to create a fake /etc with a new
> master.passwd and run su.  Sure, you have su only in the chroot()ed
> environment, but you could easily create a new suid binary...
>
> There is a reason chroot() is restricted to root, and I think we'd better
> keep that.  If the patch was changed to restrict use to non-suid only (ie,
> root only), I'd be much more comfortable with it.

It is restricted to non-suid, just the same as LD_PRELOAD is. There
is an "unsafe" field in the scan_tab for all enviromental variables
used by ld.so. It's set to on for LD_CHROOT. You may want to have
a look at this before presuming I'm a complete fool ;)

--
Prof. Julian Assange  |If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people
proff@iq.org          |and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless
proff@gnu.ai.mit.edu  |immensity of the sea. -- Antoine de Saint Exupery