Date:      Sun, 17 Jun 2001 20:01:53 +0200
From:      Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
To:        "Jonathan Fortin" <jfortin@akalink.com>, <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Article Network performance by OS

At 7:12 PM -0400 6/16/01, Jonathan Fortin wrote:

>  As for the benchmark briefly, It's biased because whoever did it knew fuck
>  nothing about Unix and Linux doesnt need tuning so Linux won period.
>  Linux is tuned out of the box, where the others are tuned for stability.

	It gets far, far better than this.  I misunderstood some of the
details of the article the first time I read it.  It turns out that
the morons have written an SMTP MTA that keeps all writes in memory
and never flushes them to disk.

	When the ignorance of RFCs and standards is at this intrastellar
level, you can forget everything you wanted to talk about with
regards to OS tuning.  None of that means anything whatsoever, when
compared to a program that completely and totally violates the single
most fundamental principle of the standards.

	The programmers may have known something about how an async,
poll()-based application can be written, but they very, very clearly
knew absolutely nothing whatsoever about writing an SMTP MTA.

	Go home, the party's over.  These guys are so bloody clue-free
that it's no longer worth the effort even contemplating the thought
of attempting to help them learn how things ought to be done.

--
Brad Knowles, <brad.knowles@skynet.be>

/*        efdtt.c  Author:  Charles M. Hannum <root@ihack.net>          */