Date:      Tue, 28 May 2002 17:14:31 -0700
From:      "Albuquerque, Marcelo M" <marcelo.m.albuquerque@boeing.com>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   configuring dummynet/ipfw in bridging mode

I am using FreeBSD 4.5 and have 3 NIC cards installed. Traffic is being
bridged between the three interfaces. I am trying to configure ipfw such
that I can have different impairments (delay, losses, etc..) between each
possible pair of NIC cards. It seems to be a simple setup but I'm having
problems getting it to work. The following is my testbed setup:

                                       ___________________
                                       |                                 |
        192.168.1.1 ------------ |  FreeBSD 4.5 Bridge  | ------------
192.168.1.2
                                       |___________________|

                                                192.168.1.3

The following command works fine:    ' ipfw add 100 deny ip from any to any
in recv fxp0 '
The result is that when I ping from or to the ip address connected to fxp0
it will timeout.

I expected the same to happen with the following command:    ' ipfw add 100
deny ip from any to any out xmit fxp0 '
The result is that pings from or to the ip address connected to fxp0 are
successful. The same happens if I replace 'xmit' with 'recv'

My ultimate goal is to use the following command:    ' ipfw add 100 deny ip
from any to any out recv fxp0 xmit fxp0 '
This will also fail like in the previous case, even though this command is
shown as an example in the ipfw(8) documentation. This will allow me to have
a set of impairments for each pair of NICs, in each direction.

The same thing happen if a pipe is created and configured with impairments
such as a 100ms delay.

Can anyone help me figure out what is wrong with my setup/configuration.

Thanks.