Date:      Thu, 01 Apr 1999 06:38:45 +1000
From:      Greg Black <gjb@comkey.com.au>
To:        "Brian D. Woodruff" <wood@eris.quintessential.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.1 UNstable

> Every version of FreeBSD I've ever used comes with a program called
> /stand/sysinstall which has an option called "upgrade".

And every OS in the world has an upgrade option, and all them
fail under various sets of circumstances.  This is why they
mostly have warnings about the possibilities of failure and the
steps you should take before you use them.  I don't know what
FreeBSD offers in the way of such warnings, since I never read
that stuff, but they ought to be there (and if they're not, then
that's what needs most to be fixed).

It's my opinion, after years of playing with these things, that
using the upgrade option is always the worst way to upgrade and
that the path to long term sanity is via fresh installations.

Think about it for a moment.  How many ways can a system
administrator modify a system from some vanilla state?  How many
new states are possible?  It's not infinite, but for practical
purposes it might as well be.  Therefore, the people designing
the upgrade path have an impossible task because they simply
cannot even imagine all the ways the system being upgraded might
be different from what they expect.  For a fresh install, they
have a clean base and they have a chance of getting it right
(modulo the almost infinite variety of PC hardware combinations
that face those who build systems for that platform).

--
Greg Black <gjb@acm.org>