Date:      Thu, 12 Apr 2001 09:21:35 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Riccardo Veraldi <Riccardo.Veraldi@fi.infn.it>
To:        <freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Interested in your opinion "machine check"

Hello,
I am very interested to know your useful and precious opinion.
I have a AS 255/233MHz.
I Removed the original rz26 SCSI2 Quantum disk and I installed
a IBM DNES 318350 18GB Ultra Wide SCSI 2 Disk.
The host adapter sym0 interface is a SCSI2 and I had to buy a Internal
SCSI adapter to attach my SCSI3 disk plug to the SCSI2 AlphaStation
SCSI interface. The adapter is a 50 pin SCSI2 male -> 68 pind SCSI3 female.
AT first everything seemed to work fine. The disk is also very fast!!
But I started having problems doing:

tar -xzf ports.tar.gz
pkg_add gnome*

The system crashes with a machine check error when I use the disk very
heavily. At the end I did myself a program in C which creates random BIG
files and copy the files across the file system. As well the system
crashed also with cp coying large files (more than 50MB).

So I started thinking the problem is a DISK problem, but I do not know
what the problem exactly can be. I used the same disk on OLD machines like
VAXstation 4000/90 and VAXstation 4000/60.
The Disk size (18GB) must not be an issue in this case. FreeBSD considers
the disk as a Direct Access drive. Anyway I have 'machine check' when I make
heavy operation on the disk. The crashes anyway are not predictable,
they just happen by chance but often if I use the disk heavily. Sometimes
only one pkg_add is enough anyway to make everything crash.
My system also crashes (without a machine check) when I start X11
sometimes. In this case I had an error related to sym0 and to the da0 disk
cache... so I suspect it is always because of my SCSI3 disk.
Do u think that the problem  could be solved if I change disk ???
The problem is that it's IMPOSSIBLE to find SCSI2 disks nowdays and all
the disks are Ultra160 LVD. Anyway I have a 8GB U160 LVD on a VAXstation
and it never gave me problems...
Could this problem be due to a too much old SRM console ????
my SRM console is from Auhust 1996 perhaps it is too old...
Could it be an incompatibility betwwen the sym0 FreeBSD scsi driver and
the Disk ?
I have to say I did not have this porblem installing NetBSD and doing many
pkg_add.

Any suggestions hints and opinions, even flames are very welcome since I
don't really know how to fix this problem!!

thanks

Rick