Date:      Wed, 16 Mar 2005 16:50:18 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@chuckr.org>
To:        Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD-gnome@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: menus

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:

> Chuck Robey wrote:
> | I need to know more about where files are in the FreeBSD gnome.  I don't
> | want to pester you forever, but I need to know how to fix the location of
> | files in gnome, so I can change things.
> |
> | It won't come as a shock to anyhow to know that gnome wants to assume it's
> | always installed in Linux, or that Linux has the horrible habit of
> | installing everything under /usr.  This means that I will never find files
> | installed under a FreeBSD port installed where they would be in a classic
> | Linux install (which most of their docs will assume they should be).  This
> | isn't a complaint, it's quite right, and I am happy that the FreeBSD
> | porters took this adult approach, if anything I am unhappy at the Linux
> | folks for not doing this obvious thing (installing OUTSIDE of /usr,
> | keeping ports OUT of /usr/bin, usr/share, etc, etc)
>
> Not true.  The FreeBSD ports have been modified to respected FreeBSD's
> LOCALBASE and X11BASE.

Not true?  Not true that FreeBSD doesn't install into /usr/bin?  I thought
the meaning I had above was pretty clear, I wasn't trashing the port, Joe.
I was saying, I don't like the Linux practice of installing software into
/usr/bin, or anything like that, mixing with the system software.  You
disagree with that?

I'm amazed.