Date:      Tue, 28 Jan 2003 20:15:50 -0500
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fixit instructions

bastill@adam.com.au wrote:
[ ... ]
> Then - assuming you do not already know the answer (as obviously, I don't)
> determine which of the documents would tell you how to use the Fixit disk.

Imagine asking an piano teacher which keys on the piano you should
press.  One valid answer is "all of them".  Another valid answer is "the
right ones for the song you're playing".

"You mean, which keys I have to type depends on which song I want to
play?"  The analogy only goes so far, but it's true that all of the Unix
commands under /stand have been selected because they are what you
probably would need to get a broken system working again.  It's also
true that which commands you should use depends on what you want to do.

> BTW, Mike and Chuck gave info which is not accurate for v5 Release Disk2 (It's
> OK for v4.6, except that /mnt2/usr/bin doen't exist) and apart from one O'Reilly
> book which I shall seek out, they basically suggest simply that  I read all the
> man pages for the commands available in Fixit mode.

Yes.  There are worse places to start than reading the manpages, and the
FreeBSD handbook attempts to be helpful.  Some people even find that the
handbook is a relatively good source of information.

Another thought: my intent wasn't to provide you with information, so
much as it was to suggest a process by which you could go looking for
the information you're after.  Using the fixit mode means you're solving
something drasticly wrong with the system.  Rote procedures often don't
work when the system has problems.

> FBSD has excellent documentation in so many areas that I find it VERY strange
> that Fixit use is such an exception.  I can't even get a description of the
> Fixit structure or a list of all the commands available, other than by booting
> from the Fixit CD and looking.  That's odd.

Are you familiar with the documentation provided for command-line mode
or domain server recovery mode when booting recent M$ operating systems
via their F8 boot menu?

-Chuck