Date:      Mon, 08 Mar 1999 13:35:11 -0800
From:      Nocturne <dpilgrim@uswest.net>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        veers@disturbed.net, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why I suffer [Was: Re: Microsoft dies after 47 days (was: Moving on  and

Terry Lambert wrote:
<snippage>
> > technical people[1] how to use an entirely new system.  Did I mention
> > that it has to be data-compatible with QuickBooks and Quicken so we
> > can still read the files we get from clients?  Not as simple as one
> > might think...
>
> Data compatability is trivial.  The file formats are documented at:
<snippage>

(I hope this isn't getting too far off track even for -chat.)

The Intuit links are to the portable transaction files, not the data
files.  QuickBooks (.QBW) and Quicken (.QDF) data files are binary
format and passcode encrypted.  With each new version Intuit rearranges
the file formats, forcing us to upgrade each year when Intuit comes
out with a new version.  This is the same forward compatibility issue
plaguing MS Office users.  And since not all of our clients have lots
of money and the "newest is best" mentality, we end up dragging them
along with us on the upgrade path, bloating our software budget.

--
dpilgrim@uswest.net                                    ICQ: 29880099
gryph@mindless.com                          PGP DH/DSS key available