Date:      Wed, 13 Jun 2012 19:17:20 +0000 (UTC)
From:      jb <jb.1234abcd@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Lost /var/db/pkg

William Orr <will <at> worrbase.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I had a hard disk failure some time ago, and I ended up losing
> /var/db/pkg/ and everything under it (before you say I should've been
> backing it up, I know, I was actually doing an initial full when this
> happened). Is there a way I can restore it, or at least manually add
> entries I know for sure about?

forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=6466
"The application themselves are still installed and will keep functioning, you
just removed the records of their installation. When you later install newer
versions, you may have to use a force flag to overwrite files (the port thinks
it is uninstalled after all). The new port installations will get recorded in
/var/db/pkg again.'

jb