Date:      Wed, 3 Mar 1999 08:29:43 -0600
From:      Guy Helmer <ghelmer@scl.ameslab.gov>
To:        cjclark@home.com
Cc:        Andrew Johns <A_Johns@TurnAround.com.au>, gjb@comkey.com.au, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FP Math

On Wed, 3 Mar 1999, Crist J. Clark wrote:

> Andrew Johns wrote,
> > "Crist J. Clark" wrote:
> >
> > > For example, the above program returns,
> > >
> > > inf
> > >
> > > On my SGI.
> > >

> > inf = infinity??
>
> Yes, that is what the output means.
>
> > ie: overflow
>
> Yep.
>
> > ie: exception if overflow is not trapped
>
> Nope, there is no floating point exception, no trapping.
>
> > => SGI is merely trapping the oveflow.
>
> Right, which I would like my FreeBSD to do. This goes back to my
> original question, that was dropped in the first response, how can I
> make sure I am using IEEE STANDARD 754 Floating-Point Arithmetic,

Have you looked at fpsetmask(3)?

Guy Helmer

Guy Helmer, Ph.D. Candidate, Iowa State University Dept. of Computer Science
Research Assistant, Ames Laboratory       ---         ghelmer@scl.ameslab.gov
Research Assistant, Dept. of Computer Science   ---   ghelmer@cs.iastate.edu
http://www.cs.iastate.edu/~ghelmer