Date:      Tue, 24 Nov 1998 12:28:55 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Gunther Schadow <gunther@aurora.rg.iupui.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG, nate@mt.sri.com
Subject:   Re: Jikes?

> I run Jikes Version 0.36 (14 Jul 98) on FreeBSD 2.2.5-RELEASE and it's
> /usr/local/bin/jikes: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version
> 1, dynamically linked, stripped.
>
> Everything works fine. I always admire how fast jikes is as opposed to
> the java javac.

No kidding, but I suspect most of that has to do with the fact that the
JVM doesn't have to be started up everytime.

I'm using a TowerJ compiled javac on Solaris, and it's about 10X faster
than the Java version.

In any case, Steve K. pointed out that I needed to load the Linux LKM
before I could run Linux binaries. :(

Nate