Date:      Wed, 28 Oct 2015 12:01:42 -0400
From:      "John D. Hendrickson" <johnandsara2@cox.net>
To:        Eric McCorkle <eric@metricspace.net>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Testing the new i915 driver (rev. 3820047)

Eric McCorkle wrote:
> Is it possible to build the driver directly into the kernel yet?  I
> typically build all my commonly-used devices in, so I'd like to make
> sure that use case works.
>
> On 10/17/15 09:26, Jean-Sébastien Pédron wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> Lately, I fixed several issues with the GEM, people already reported
>> this improved things for them.
>>
>> I believe I fixed two problems with the output connectors too and I hope
>> that it will be fine now for people who reported eg. non-working HDMI.
>> However, I can't test this myself.
>>
>> I'm still chasing a problem with Mesa (Stellarium hangs on startup for
>> me).
>>
>> As a reminder, informations are available on the wiki:
>> https://wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics/Update%20i915%20GPU%20driver%20to%20Linux%203.8
>>

>> Please continue to test! Thank you for your help :)

stellarium works for me shouldn't lock up

BUT remember GL is like GTK when it's being hacked by GTK like hackers :)

an application made for an earlier version might have an issue of
expecting a result that was "depreciated".  (stellarium might need to be
rewritten).  see if they depreciated anything <= 1.3 (OpenGL) - because
Silicon Graphics would never do that, and if they did then they are
intently damaging wares.

(my current issue is i find out gtk+-2.21 does not run gtk+-2.10 apps
that expect .png icons to be loaded as stock.  all <2.10 apps would need
rewriting.  and 2 gtk2 versions do not install due to clobbering.  code
was deleted to load png stock: i checked and gdb'd it.)