Date:      Sun, 4 Apr 1999 22:12:19 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <aa8vb@ipass.net>
To:        Ben Speirs <igiveup@ix.netcom.com>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Example Param file for MPEG_ENCODE

--TB36FDmn/VVEgNH/

Ben Speirs:
 |Does anybody have an example parameter file to use with mpeg_encode?
 |Also I'm really not sure what a lot of the fields do.  Is there any
 |better documentation?

I had the same trouble when I was cooking config files for MPEG
movie-making inside of fxtv.  There was more useful info in the mpeg_encode
source package.  I don't recall which files, but at least some of them
are installed with the FreeBSD package:

    > pkg_info -L mpeg_encode-1.5b
    /usr/local/bin/mpeg_encode
    /usr/local/share/doc/mpeg_encode/users-guide.ps
    /usr/local/share/doc/mpeg_encode/template.param

In case it might help, I've attached the mpeg_encode config file-related
snippet from fxtv_cnvt.sh which is used for cooking MPEG video and system
streams.  The first part + one of the next 3 parts + one of the last two
parts are all appended together and __var__iables substituted appropriately.

 |How about information on mpeg2encode?  Should I be using this program
 |instead?  There were no man pages with this package.

You mean mpeg2codec?  No experience with it, but I'd be interested in what
folks have to say as well.  It wasn't there back when I was working with
MPEG video stream generation.

Randall

--TB36FDmn/VVEgNH/

#--------------------- MPEG_ENCODE PARAMETER FILE TEMPLATES ------------------

MPEG_ENC_PARAM_STR_HEADER=\
'#
# "mpeg_encode" parameter file; generated by FreeBSD X TV
#

PATTERN           IBPBIBPBPB
GOP_SIZE          10
SLICES_PER_FRAME  1
PIXEL             HALF
RANGE             8
PSEARCH_ALG       LOGARITHMIC
BSEARCH_ALG       SIMPLE
IQSCALE           8
PQSCALE           10
BQSCALE           25
FRAME_RATE        __FPS__
REFERENCE_FRAME   ORIGINAL
YUV_SIZE          __XRES__x__YRES__
OUTPUT            __OUTFILE__'

MPEG_ENC_PARAM_STR_TIFF=\
'BASE_FILE_FORMAT  PPM
INPUT_CONVERT     tifftopnm *'

MPEG_ENC_PARAM_STR_PPM=\
'BASE_FILE_FORMAT  PPM
INPUT_CONVERT     *'

MPEG_ENC_PARAM_STR_IYUV=\
'BASE_FILE_FORMAT  YUV
INPUT_CONVERT     *
YUV_FORMAT        EYUV'

MPEG_ENC_PARAM_STR_INP_FILES=\
'INPUT_DIR         __FRAMEDIR__
INPUT
__FRAMEBASE__.*.__FRAMEEXT__  [00001-__NUMFRAMES__]
END_INPUT'

MPEG_ENC_PARAM_STR_INP_STDIN=\
'INPUT_DIR         stdin'

--TB36FDmn/VVEgNH/--