Date:      Wed, 19 May 1999 18:16:04 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        "G. Adam Stanislav" <adam@whizkidtech.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: c9x (new ANSI C)

On Wed, 19 May 1999, G. Adam Stanislav wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I have recently exchanged some email with a person involved in the upcoming
> c9x - new version of ANSI C, which is, among other things, supposed to bring
> some changes in localization functions.
>
> Since I am working on the wctype.h functions, I asked him where I could learn
> more about the new standard. He told me to download it from www.c9x.org, but
> to do it quickly because as soon as it becomes the official ISO standard he
> will have to remove it from the web (he did not say why, but we all know how
> much ISO charges for its standards).
>
> I just downloaded it, and thought I'd share the fact with you - anyone
> interested in the upcoming changes to ISO C may want to download it now as well.
> Get the text version as the pdf version appears corrupt.
>
> Here's the URL again, all by itself:
>
> 	http://www.c9x.org/

I tell you, I must say that the new spec, from what I've heard (and some
limited reading of magazine articles), brings in a lot of C++ to C, and
really is a gift to compiler vendors.  No changes *I'd* want.  Of
course, the only OO language I care for is Java, being that it's far
simpler than C++.

Becoming well versed in C++ has meant that I can now bore you endlessly
with well expressed reasons why I dislike C++.  Now you have all the
language propeller-heads wanting to change C into a C++ lookalike.

If they succeed in doing it to Java, I may have to drop Java.  I hope we
aren't all forced to adopt the new changes.

chuckr@picnic.mat.net       | communications topic, C programming, and Unix.
213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (Solaris7).