Date:      Sat, 10 May 1997 15:13:55 +0000
From:      "Riley J. McIntire" <chaos@mail.tgci.com>
To:        Michael Alwan <alwan@rma.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: advantages of symmetric processing

> Date:          Sat, 10 May 1997 17:25:46 -0400
> To:            questions@FreeBSD.ORG
> From:          Michael Alwan <alwan@rma.edu>
> Subject:       advantages of symmetric processing

> To anyone interested:
[snip]

> On the other hand, there are other socket 7 processors like the AMD K6 with
> all the 32 bit optimizations, faster clock speeds, and lower prices than
> newer Intel stuff.  The upgrade path (beyond 266 MHZ) seems unpredictable,
> and as far as I know, it can't be multiprocessed.

Sure it can with the appropriate motherboard.

> Here's my question.  All other things being equal (version of operating
> system, system bus speed, amount of ram, kernel configuration, disk speed,
> etc.)  which runs a given app faster--symmetric multiprocessing or faster
> clock speeds with one processor?

All things being equal, if you double your clock speed you will double
your on-chip processing capability.  Your on board i/o capacity stays
the same.

If you double your processor, you may or may not double your
processing capability.  Assuming you're looking to increase the
performance of a single application, as opposed to increasing
performance of a system running multiple applications (or instances
of same), the application must be written to take advantage of SMP.

Assuming such an application, it *may* also take better advantage of
disk i/o and memory i/o.  Maybe.

> Compare, say, two 120 MHZ Pentiums to one 200 MHZ Pentium Pro.  Do
> something CPU-intensive in a database.  Which will come out ahead?  What is
> the break-even point?  I'm less likely to be networking or using my machine
> as a server and more likely to be image-processing or DTP or using a database.

Depends on the database ( or app) and what you're doing with it.  A
single threaded app will run faster on the 200 Mhz PPro.  A
multi-threaded app *might* take better advantage of the 2-120s,
although you are comparing apples and oranges.  The PPro can really
scream with certain apps.

> I haven't been researching this for long, but everything I've read seems to
> suggest adding a second processor doesn't increase the speed of a given
> operation more than 50%.  There is a lot more information about the impact
> of cpu clock speeds, obviously because most people have one cpu.  I also
> realize that at the rate new hardware and software is coming out, any
> prediction now might make no sense in 2 months.  I'm just looking for the
> most bang for the bucks I have now.
>
> If anyone has any answers experience, or opinions, I'd be really
> interested.  It's hard to get a straight answer from a vendor.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Michael

You really need to define what you want to do and what application
you're using to do it with before you can get a real grasp of this
question.

Ciao,

Riley