Date:      Sat, 19 Apr 1997 17:07:33 -0400
From:      dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
To:        Chris Samaritoni <csamarit@ucsd.edu>, questions@freebsd.org, isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Controlled bandwidth sharing

At 12:57 PM 4/19/97 +0100, Chris Samaritoni wrote:
>We have at our disposal for outgoing bandwidth:
>
>. a router with a dedicated T-1 @ 1.5mbps (flat rate $$)
>. a 10baseT switched port on a shared OC-3 (metered rate $$)
>
>Currently we are on the switched port -- current bandwidth requirements are
>about 1mbps sustained and about 8mbps burst. Our provider wants us to move
>to a T-1, but we'll lose the nice burst capacity if we move to the T-1.
>Ideally, we'd like:
>
>. first 1.5mbps routed to the T-1
>. additional bandwidth routed to the switch when needed
>
>I talked to our provider, and they said we should look for a software
>solution. I'm guessing that what needs to be done is have FreeBSD's default
>router changed dynamically (many times per second?) to adjust for bandwidth
>conditions. We want to take advantage of the flat rate T-1 as much as
>possible so we don't have to pay very much on the metered switch.
>
>Any ideas?

Our bandwidth manager for freebsd can control your bandwidth....we are adding
a new feature, called the Burst Manager, that will do just what you want, I
think.

You can see info on the ET/BWMGR at  http://www.etinc.com. The Burst Manager
should be available in a few weeks....

Regards,

Dennis Baasch
Emerging Technologies, Inc.
Router cards for BSD/OS, FreeBSD, NetBSD,
OPenBSD and Linux
Standalone Routers
Bandwidth Allocation/Limiter Manager
http://www.etinc.com