Date:      Sat, 6 Aug 2011 11:27:20 +0200
From:      Ed Schouten <ed@80386.nl>
To:        current@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        mav@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ahci(4) breaks on MSI X58 Pro-E

--IJpNTDwzlM2Ie8A6

* Ed Schouten <ed@80386.nl>, 20110805 20:53:
> The day before yesterday I upgraded a server of mine at Hetzner to
> FreeBSD 9. It seems to use an MSI X58 Pro-E motherboard, having an ICH10
> SATA-controller.
>=20
> It seems that under high load, I get timeouts on the SATA controller. It
> seems disabling MSI has no effect. Unfortunately it's a sort-of
> production system, so I can't do a lot of testing with it and I also
> don't have any hands-on console access.

False alarm. One of the hard disks of the server died, not long after I
upgraded to 9. They replaced the disk and the system runs fine again.

It should be noted that the ahci(4) driver made the system hang on
timeouts, whereas the ata(4) driver already observed timeouts during
startup and disabled the channel entirely. This allowed me to properly
boot with a single disk.

--=20
 Ed Schouten <ed@80386.nl>
 WWW: http://80386.nl/