Date:      Wed, 07 Oct 1998 19:26:15 -0400
From:      Malartre <malartre@aei.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   What's the difference between su and exec login?

I am currently working on a project wich try to do windows/macos
transition to unix easy. But I cannot get the difference betweem "su"
and exec login.

Here is what I know
When I su, I keep my original ID.
Also, I can su without being in the wheel group, with the restriction of
not su-ing to root (ie, not in the correct group to su root error)
When I exit, I exit to my previous account.

exec login simply exit the shell and ask me if I want to login.
Here is what I writed:
**********
In FreeBSD, there are 3 kind of users: root, elvis-user and super-user

root is the only admin user. He can do everything, even crash/destroy
the system. Don't give the root password to anyone, including people who
want to hum say -fix- one of your problem on irc.

elvis-user are those kind of simple user who don't have the power to do
anything harmfull to the system. Elvis will be our exemple of user in
all the screenshot I will show you. (ie. no untrusted user should be
allowed on your system, since some are enough evil to be harmfull has a
user)

super-user are those user you really trust (usually only yourself).
Those user are the same type has the elvis-user family but have the
advantage to be in the wheel group and to execute the su (Super User)
program. The su program allow the super-user to become another user of
any kind (another super-user, a simple user or the root user) has long
has he has the required password for the user he want to be. A
super-user has all the restriction of the user, so he is also harmless
has long has he don't know the root password.
*********

There is many error in that text.
--
[Malartre][malartre@aei.ca][http://www.aei.ca/~malartre/]