Date:      Sat, 23 Jul 2005 09:00:05 -0500
From:      "W. D." <WD@US-Webmasters.com>
To:        freebsd-www@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD design proposal

At 06:50 7/23/2005, Emily Boyd, wrote:
>W.D.,
>
>> Are these templates going to be user friendly?  That is, since
>> different individuals are responsible for updating different
>> sections, can they do so easily, unencumbered by the formatting
>> method?
>
>Yes.

How so?

>> Some other comments and considerations:
>>=20
>> I did a quick scan of the HTML on PostgreSQL.org.  There were a=20
>> number of errors that hopefully would not be duplicated on
>> FreeBSD.org:
>>=20
>> http://tinyurl.com/bmgrg or:
>>=20
>>=20
><http://www.US-Webmasters.com/FreeBSD/Temp/PostgreSQL.org-HTML-Validation-R=
e>sults.htm>

>PostgreSQL.org is valid XHTML, or at least was when it was handed over
>to the website maintainers back in January :)

At least the home page is.  There are a number of other pages
that are not.

>> During a link check of PostgreSQL.org I found a number of=20
>> improperly terminated URLs.  The web server software is=20
>> smart enough to redirect, but this does take a little
>> extra time and CPU cycles:
>
>That was thanks to a limitation of the CMS that PostgreSQL.org uses,
>which could not handle some of the URLs if they had the / on the end.

Then it is not a standards compliant content management system.
Hopefully, something better will be used on FreeBSD.org.

#2079>

Mr. Keil's point (and mine) hasn't been addressed:

At 06:12 7/23/2005, Fabian Keil, wrote:
>I checked http://www.postgresql.org/ and it has a fixed 800px layout.
>
>I would prefer a layout which takes advantages of the whole screen.
>If you visit http://www.postgresql.org/ on a big screen, half
>the space is wasted.
>
>Fabian

If the site will be similar to PostgreSQL.org, then browsers with
widths less than 800 pixels will have to do quite a bit of
back and forth scrolling.

>The images necessary to produce the FreeBSD design are minimal (10-15KB
>maximum for the homepage), and images would not be used for headings.

Sounds good.

>Emily

To save space in my previous email, I didn't list the points made at:
http://www.US-Webmasters.com/web-design-principles/

Would you please address these, especially the points on=20
navigation, meta tags, and site map?

=20

Start Here to Find It Fast!=99 ->=
 http://www.US-Webmasters.com/best-start-page/