Date:      Tue, 07 Apr 2015 09:56:31 -0500
From:      dweimer <dweimer@dweimer.net>
To:        Cristiano Deana <cristiano.deana@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: php version

On 04/07/2015 9:37 am, Cristiano Deana wrote:
> Hi,
>
> please help me understand.
>
> In /usr/ports/UPDATING we have:
>
> ---
> # grep -A11 ^20150220 /usr/ports/UPDATING | more
> 20150220:
>   AFFECTS: users of PHP
>
>   The default PHP version has been updated from 5.4 to 5.6.
>
>   If you use binary packages you should make a list of php packages
>   before running 'pkg upgrade':
>
>   # pkg info php5\* > ~/installed-php-ports-list
>
>   After the upgrade, check with such list if all your php extensions
>   are still installed, and reinstall them if needed.
> ---
>
> but, also:
>
> ---
> # grep -B1 ^PORTVERSION /usr/ports/lang/php5/Makefile
> PORTNAME=       php5
> PORTVERSION=    5.4.38
> ---
>
> same with pkg:
>
> ---
> # pkg install -n php5
> Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
> FreeBSD repository is up-to-date.
> All repositories are up-to-date.
> The following 1 packages will be affected (of 0 checked):
>
> New packages to be INSTALLED:
>         php5: 5.4.39
>
> The process will require 15 MiB more space.
> 2 MiB to be downloaded.
>
> This in a 10.1-RELENG. Is UPDATING wrong?
> Thank you

PHP 5.6 is in /usr/ports/lang/php56

If you install another port/pkg that depends on PHP and don't have a
version already installed the defaults tell it which version to use. I
am guessing its up to the individual port maintainers if they are going
to have a port/pkg entry that links to the default.

--
Thanks,
    Dean E. Weimer