Date:      Wed, 7 Oct 1998 15:03:41 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
To:        kpielorz@tdx.co.uk (Karl Pielorz)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problem mounting CD jukebox under CAM?

Karl Pielorz wrote...
> I've just put another cd-rom in one of my slow-but trust Nakamichi CD-ROM
> jukeboxes...
>
> >From the console:
>
> "
> caladan> mount -t cd9660 /dev/cd4a /jukebox/deep
> cd9660: Invalid argument
> caladan>
> "
>
> Any ideas? (exactly the same managed to mount /dev/cd0a through cd3a and
> cd7a through cd10a)...

[ ... ]

> I can mount other disks in that same drive / LUN number, and they work
> fine... I'm beginning to suspect it might be the disk - but shouldn't I
> get a better error back than just 'cd9660: Invalid argument'.

If you can mount other CDs in that slot in the drive, I'd say that the
cd9660 code probably doesn't like your CD.  I don't think that's really a
CAM problem.  It could be that the CD is bogus, or that the cd9660 code
isn't properly dealing with it.

> The CD is a pure IS09660 image, not Joleit / Romeo etc. I can read it in
> my other PC (not that that's any consilation)...

> Dmesg output says:
> "cd4 at ahc1 bus 0 target 5 lun 4
>  cd4: <NRC MBR-7 110> Removable CD-ROM SCSI2 device
>  cd4: 3.300MB/s transfers"

When you boot the machine with the CD in question in the drive, what do you
get for the CD's size?  (your cut-and-paste above doesn't include that
information..)

> and an ls -l /dev/cd4a & cd0a (for comparison) gets:
>
> brw-------  1 root  operator    6,  32 Oct  5 11:58 /dev/cd4a
> brw-------  1 root  operator    6,  34 Oct  5 11:58 /dev/cd4c
> brw-------  1 root  operator    6,   0 Oct  5 11:58 /dev/cd0a
> brw-------  1 root  operator    6,   2 Oct  5 11:58 /dev/cd0c
>
> I can 'od /dev/cd4a' - I just can't mount it...
>
> I seem to remember this same disk was in the same drive, and mounted OK
> before we went CAM (though I can't be 100% sure - I don't use the disk
> that often :-(
>
> The system is current as of 11am, Sunday last - it's running an a.out
> kernel and ELF everything else...
>
> Anyone got any suggestions? (apart from burn another disk ;-)

One thing you can do is turn on debugging for that bus/target/lun and see
what commands are being sent.

If "Sunday last" means October 4th, you should be able to do the following:

camcontrol devlist -v
[ see which SCSI bus your changer is on ]

camcontrol debug -c 1:5:4
[ the first number - '1' - is the SCSI bus number.  If your changer is on
scbus2 or something, you'll need to replace the '1' with a '2' ]

mount_cd9660 /dev/cd4a /cdrom

camcontrol debug off

That will cause all SCSI commands sent to that particular lun to be printed
out on the console.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry