Date:      Wed, 21 Jul 2004 00:07:21 -0500
From:      Lane <lholcombe@joeandlane.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Ara@Avvali.COM
Subject:   Re: how to update freebsd? newbie

On Tue July 20 2004 10:28 pm, Ara@Avvali.COM wrote:
> hi
> i am sorry if this is a stupid question i ask but i am willing to see if
> someone helps me to understand the freebsd update process, i just came
> from redhat so forgive me
> i did couple of readings on line and used handbook, even bought a
> freebsd unleashed book, but i still have not got this
> i have to install cvsup-without-GUI and then synchronize the sources.
> then sync the port collection and then build work to keep it updated/
> but build work takes a while and i don't think this is a good idea to do
> everyday. is there any way so i can just get the required packages built
> or even download a pre-made package from ftp? also what happens let's
> say i install gimp 2.x and next week 2.y comes up, is there any way so
> it automatically checks everyday to see if there is a new version and
> download and install from packages?
> help is appreciated

Ara,

FreeBSD does change frequently, but fortunately it progresses in a "tree"
fashion.  Because of this you can run the core system (i.e. 4.2-STABLE) for
several years before you have to update it.  You really don't need to update
it daily, weekly, or even monthly as long as the kernel you are using is
working for you.

I think you have to base your expectations on whether you intend to track
-CURRENT or -STABLE or one of the intermediate -RELEASE FreeBSD kernels.
Once you have the kernel in place and running, you can update ports as needed
(i.e. when something breaks you update the relevant port to fix the problem).

I came from MSDOS (pre-Windows), so it took me years to understand the
difference between -STABLE and -CURRENT, so here is a hint:  If you don't
understand the difference between -CURRENT and -STABLE then always choose
-STABLE

Once you have a recent -STABLE cvsup, focus first on "make buildworld"; "make
installworld"; "make buildkernel"; "make installkernel."  You will find
instructions for this in /usr/src/UPDATING and any other file in /usr/src
that is in CAPITAL letters.

Once you have built a working system (i.e. a system that boots), then install
the ports that you need.  You will probably want /usr/ports/x11/XFree86-4
and /usr/ports/x11/kde3 just to begin with.

Now just enjoy the system!  You only need update when there is a problem!

But, getting back you your quandry about when gimp.x is updated to gimp.y,
once you have the system up and running, I believe that you will find that
the most ultimately cool thing about FreeBSD is that you can direct it to do
such time-consuming processes (such as updating the ports tree) while you are
sleeping or otherwise occupied.  Plus, there is a host of utilities
in /usr/ports/sysutils that lets you do things like run a full mirror of
*ALL* branches (-STABLE, -CURRENT, and every intermediate -RELEASE) and then,
when you feel like playing, install a brand new operating system on a new (or
otherwise unused) disk just for the fun of it!

Good Luck!