Date:      Thu, 1 Jan 1998 14:38:10 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Palle Girgensohn <girgen@partitur.se>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: unattended dump?

On Thu, 1 Jan 1998, Palle Girgensohn wrote:

> > > I'd like to use dump from crontab. What happens when a tape shift is
> > > required?  If I start a dump from the prompt, I can't detach the process
> > > (i.e. no &), or it will stop saying "[1]  + Suspended (tty output)
> > > dump". When running it from cron, this seems to work, as long as there
> > > is no need for operator intervention.
> >
> > The process will probably stick up since it has no connected tty (unless
> > dump can handle the ENOTTY error).
> >

> Do you mean that it will stick up even if it is run from cron?

As long as it doesn't prompt for a new tape or whatever.   If it doesn't
require user intervention it should work fine.

I should disclaim that I've never tried this :-)

> In this case, how do I best run unattended dumps? As a script from the
> console, that wait until a certain time during the night?

> I've tried this with more than one tape, and the result is the same. 4GB
> into the tape, I get write error. Obviously, I hit the tape end. The
> model is a Seagate Hornet CTT8000. I have read the manual, and from what
> I can comprehend, there's no built-in hardware compression. Still,
> Seagate present fact & figures on how much it stores with hardware
> compression. odd... Anyway, I guess 4GB is the limit, unless there's
> some way to do software compression. I guess 'tar z...' might work, but
> I like dump a lot better than tar...

Echo.  You might bother Seagate on that.  You should also check the
density codes; I think one of those actually enables the hardware
compression.  Check the mail archives.

> Is there any way to fix the end-of-media indicator on the tape?

New tape.

> I use 'dump 0uabf 64 /dev/nrst0' and get the following:
>
>   DUMP: 57.03% done, finished in 0:22
>   DUMP: write error 1048256 blocks into volume 1
>   DUMP: Do you want to restart?: ("yes" or "no")
>
> I'd rather have the option to continue on a new tape.

> > try adding the `a' option:
>
> Sorry, I remebered wrong. I do use the 'a' option.

Odd.  In that case, use the B option to list how many blocks fit on a
tape.