Date:      Wed, 09 Mar 2016 02:09:11 -0600
From:      chris@bsdjunk.com
To:        Manish Jain <bourne.identity@hotmail.com>
Cc:        User Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, owner-freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help needed to re-connect FreeBSD to internet

On 2016-03-09 01:59, Manish Jain wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using a dual-boot machine Windows XP SP3 and FreeBSD 10.2 amd64,
> using a Wi-Fi modem connected to the PC with a LAN cable. Till a
> couple of days back, the systems had no issue connecting to internet
> and the world seemed rosy. All of a sudden, yesterday disaster struck
> and neither was able open up any site in the web browser.
>
> Help from the service provider got the Windows system working again. I
> enabled Internet Connection Sharing and replaced DHCP with
> 192.168.10.3 for the PC and 192.168.10.1 for the Wi-Fi modem
> (default_router). While the Windows connects to the internet now, the
> FreeBSD box remains stuck with roughly those same settings.
>
> ifconfig re0 :
> re0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu
> 1500
> options=8209b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,VLAN_HWCSUM,WOL_MAGIC,LINKSTATE>
>
>     ether 50:46:5d:66:fd:10
>     inet 0.0.0.0 netmask 0xff000000 broadcast 255.255.255.255
>     nd6 options=29<PERFORMNUD,IFDISABLED,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>
>     media: Ethernet autoselect (100baseTX <full-duplex>)
>     status: active
>
> pinging 192.168.1.1 produces 'no route to host' and 100.0% packet
> loss. At boot-time, the system seems to attempt getting a DHCP lease
> multiple times without success.
>
> cat /etc/resolv.conf :
>
> nameserver 192.168.1.1
>
> cat /etc/rc.conf :
>
> hostname="freebsd10dot2.amd64.local"
> ifconfig_re0="DHCP"
> sshd_enable="YES"
> # Set dumpdev to "AUTO" to enable crash dumps, "NO" to disable
> dumpdev="AUTO"
> keyrate="fast"
> apcupsd_enable="YES"
> dbus_enable="YES"
> hald_enable="YES"
> gnome_enable="YES"
> linux_enable="YES"
> mysql_enable="YES"
> fusefs_enable="YES"
> atapicam_load="YES"
> cupsd_enable="NO"
>

> Can someone please point me to what might be the error/changes needed
> for my FreeBSD box to connect to internet again ? Thank you.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Manish Jain
Hi,

By the looks of it you changed the IP but forgot to add the default
route.

http://handbook.bsdjunk.com/network-routing.html

When using a static IP you're required to add in a infconfig_nic0="" and
defaultroute="" or else it has no where to route the packets.

once you do that you can test using service netif restart && service
routing restart

Chris