Date:      Wed, 25 Feb 1998 23:05:46 -0500 (EST)
From:      Craig Struble <cstruble@vt.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Onboard IDE troubles

Hello all, I just upgraded my motherboard and CPU and I'm having troubles
booting FreeBSD 2.2.5 from my SCSI disk if I have the onboard PCI-IDE
controller turned on.  Here are the important specs
	Motherboard:      QDI-P5I430TX-250 Titanium IB
        BIOS:             Award BIOS 4.51PG
                          QDI Version 1.3S
        CPU:              200MHz MMX Pentium
        SCSI controller:  NCR 53C825
        IDE drive(s):     1 - 425 MB Western Digital
        SCSI drive(s):    2 - 730 MB Quantum Lightnings
                          1 - 1.06 GB Conner

The way my system was set up before the upgrade was that the IDE drive had
the OS-BS beta boot manager installed, and from there I could boot either
OS/2 on the IDE drive, or FreeBSD on the first SCSI drive. This worked
great. Now though, if I try to boot FreeBSD from the SCSI drive with the
onboard PCI-IDE controller turned on, I see the message:

     Error: D:0x81 C:0 H:0 S:0

Even if I set the system to boot from SCSI first, or turn off the IDE
drive, the message shows up (changing 0x81 to 0x80). If I turn off the
PCI-IDE controller, FreeBSD happily boots from the hard drive. Looking
through the code for the bootblocks, it looks like there is something
wrong reading data from the SCSI disk via BIOS but only when the IDE
controller is turned on. Has anyone else seen problems like this?
	See ya later,
		Craig
--
Craig Struble (cstruble@vt.edu)    Ph.D. Student, Virginia Tech