Date:      Sat, 12 Apr 1997 02:02:02 -0600
From:      "Aaron D. Gifford" <agifford@infowest.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   httpd exited on signal 4

Hi,

I'm wondering where I need to look (what kernel paramater to adjust) to
prevent web server processes from doing this (from /var/log/messages):

Apr 12 01:50:36 mybsdbox /kernel: pid 245 (httpd), uid 39: exited on signal 4

The server is an Apache server that serves up several hundred thousand hits
each day.  The server doesn't die or quit, just some of the httpd processes
just die.  That means most folks get the web pages all right, but once in a
while, a page or image or something will be incomplete as the process
serving that person's browser dies.  I see this message on the console (and
in the log) about 1-5 times each minute.  I see nothing in any of the
Apache logs.

I'm looking for clues.  I suspect that some buffer or data structure
somewhere is getting filled up, perhaps in the kernel.

>From my kernel config file:
  maxusers        512
  options         CHILD_MAX=1024
  options         OPEN_MAX=4096
  options         SOMAXCONN=1024

The machine has 128MB RAM and 2 swap partitions of 128MB each on 2 separate
drives.  The swap space is usually unused.

Any ideas, tips, or pointers?

Sincerely,
Aaron Gifford