Date:      Tue, 31 Jan 95 11:49:15 MST
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        mnewell@lupine.nsi.nasa.gov (Michael C. Newell)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: XFree86 vs. ATI (again)...

> I posted this question a week ago and didn't get any answers, so I'm
> posting it again...
>
> I'm bringing FreeBSD V2.0 with XFree86 V3.1 up on an ISA based 486-66
> with an ATI VGA Wonder XL card (1Mb memory).  I'm trying to use the
> XF86_SVGA server.  Unfortunately, the server only seems to be able to
> find the 75Mhz clock.  The xf86config program generates all BUT the
> clocks.  When I install the clocks (I used several sets; the original
> ones that worked under V2.1.1 and some supplied from another user) I am
> unable to get a coherent screen (the screen is white with vertical bars
> running through it.  It does not scroll.)  The clock values seem to work
> fine for the VGA16 server, but nothing seems to work for the SVGA server.

[ ... ]

> Anyone out there actually have a working XFree86 V3.1 + ATI VGA Wonder XL
> (or any other ATI VGA Wonder variant) combination out there?

That you didn't get an answer is probably a "no".

That the clocks aren't specified is not suprising.

You need to engage in a very technical process, so secret it goes by the
code name "frobbing".

Basically, after doing an (redirect otherwise if not using csh):

	X -probeonly >& /tmp/f00

You need to put the clocks in an explicit "Clocks" line in your XFree86
config.

Then you need to frob the clocks until they match the sync frequencies
that your monitor documentation sayd your monitor supports.

In other words, this isn't anything to do with the card at all, really,
except that the card has default settings for its clocks.

Once you have frobbed the clocks, you need to pick mode lines for the
desired resoloutions using the frobbed clocks.

Unfortunately, a mode line is a real res, a beam on time, a beam off
time, and a beam length in the X and the Y.

There are also flags on positive vs. negative, etc. syncing of the scan
beam.

Frobbing the mode line until it works is occasionally a good way to cook
your monitor unless you are very quick and only use clocks that the
monitor can sync (quick applies to cutting the monitor power).

The mode line should be largely unnecessary, but since the monitor sync
and the clock setting may be off a bit, you have to adjust for it.  This
is really your own fault for not being more specific about the clocks
(after all, DOS drivers don't have this problem).

This is all very annoying; I believe X Inside has simplified the work,
but haven't played with their code yet, since I'm still not upgraded.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---
or previous employers.