Date:      Sun, 31 Oct 1999 16:04:41 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        cravey@hal-pc.org (Stephen P. Cravey)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Upgrading ports and existing programs

Stephen P. Cravey wrote,
> I'd like to upgrade the versions of some of my installed programs from
> ports.  I can cvsup new ports, but before I do, I have a few questions.
>
> Are there several ports trees I can cvsup (ports-stable, ports-current,
> ports-really-really-buggy)?

No.

> Do I need to 'make deinstall' all of the programs i've previeously
> installed from the ports collection before I cvsup the new ports? After I
> cvsup the new ports? at all? when?

The ports tree has nothing to do with installed, running software. If
the program works now, it will operate in the exact same manner.

It is analogous to CVSup'ing the FreeBSD source tree. Nothing on the
running system is changed until you 'make world'.

> Do I need to worry about a new version of a port not working on my
> 3.1-stable system?

Most ports should work fine across all 3.x systems. Most will even be
fine for 2.2.8.

> Will cron-ing a ports cvsup cause any problems for installed programs?
> upgrading or removing them?

No.

Well, that is not true. When version numbers change, you will not be
able to 'make deinstall' a port. However, this is easily worked around
by doing a 'pkg_delete <portname>'.

> basically, how the heck do I do this without messing up my system?

CVSup'ing the ports tree cannot mess anything up until you go into a
port and type 'make <target>'.