Date:      26 Jul 2000 07:34:29 +0200
From:      Simon J Mudd <sjmudd@pobox.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        ben@FreeBSD.org (Ben Smithurst)
Subject:   Re: /usr/share/doc/handbook/* updated with cvs?

Hi Ben,

ben@FreeBSD.org (Ben Smithurst) writes:

> Simon J Mudd wrote:
>
> > However /usr/share/doc/handbook/* appears not to have received any recent
> > changes (since Mar 19 2000) and I am not sure if this is being updated by
> > cvsuping the sources (I'm using the example stable-supfile and attemtping
> > to cvsup src-all).
>
> /usr/share/doc/handbook doesn't get updated, either by cvsup or a
> buildworld.

Presumably this is true of some/all documentation supplied in FreeBSD?

> You need to cvsup doc-all (with tag=., NOT tag=RELENG_4),
> and do a 'make all install' in /usr/doc for that.

I guess you mean

	'make all install' in /usr/src/share/doc?

>  Note that you need the textproc/docproj port installed for that.

Ok. I'll look at this.

Is there some reason that this is not specified/mentioned anywhere as
the handbook is a good attempt to give good documentation for FreeBSD and
any updates would be useful.

I was specifically looking for:
- trying to see why the boot loader failed with a "BTX error" (from
  memory), something fixed with 'make installkernel installworld' but
  which didn't seem to work correctly just doing a make install from
  /usr/src/sys/compile/<mykernel>.
- create a backup procedure (with backup floppy) to allow me to recover
  a SCSI backup to disk, booting from the floppy.
- internationalisacion: I can get Freebsd to work with a spanish
  keyboard from sysconsole and from X, _BUT_ this doesn't work correctly
  when I attempt to telnet (from X, or from the console) to a linux box.
  I'm sure that this is a configuration issue, but there is little
  documentation available and there are probably several people
  like myself having similar problems.
- boot0cfg - using packet mode - The manual doesn't mention this anywhere
  and I had to modify the configuration with my Adaptec 2940UW SCSI
  adaptor to get it to boot correctly.

(I don't expect you to answer these questions now, though do if you
can.  I can ask these questions individually to -questions if this will
help.)

The answers in 4.0's handbook are out of date/wrong.  I was not sure who
to contact to get the right answer, or who to contact to update the
handbook with the right answers assuming I can find them.  I _am_ a
relative newbie to FreeBSD, though I have used other versions of unix,
mainly linux for several years.

The handbook and other documentation is good, but shouldn't the documentation
come with the system (?).

Still learning FreeBSD, but slowly ...

Simon
--