Date:      Sun, 2 Jul 2000 23:26:46 +0530
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        Francesco Casadei <fcasadei@monrif.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Re: Can't send mail: HELO command rejected

Francesco Casadei said on Jul  2, 2000 at 19:42:41:
> On Sun, Jun 25, 2000 at 03:12:32PM +0200, Simon J Mudd wrote:
> > fcasadei@monrif.net writes:
> >
> > > Hi all,
> > > I'm unable to send mail to freebsd-questions mailing list using mutt/qmail.

I use mutt and qmail (on both freebsd and linux) and have no problems
mailing the list.

> > Solution: The SMTP client must identify itself correctly.

-snip-

> Final-Recipient: RFC822; <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
> Action: failed
> Remote-MTA: dns; freebsd.org
> Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 450 <fep24-svc.tin.it>: Helo command rejected: Host not
>
> In fact the reverse DNS lookup on fep24-svc.tin.it fails:
>
> casimiro> host fep24-svc.tin.it
> Host not found.

Quite right: I can't find it with the host command on my machine either.
If the host is correct, get a DNS entry for it, or else try routing
your mails through some other machine on your network which does have
a DNS entry: that's quite easy to do with qmail.

Rahul.