Date:      Tue, 14 Mar 95 15:59:58 MST
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        roberto@blaise.ibp.fr (Ollivier Robert)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: MINFREE change to 8%

> I've noticed with the change to MINFREE from 5% to 8% that there is
> something strange in the ufs/ffs/ffs_alloc.c file :
>
>         case FS_OPTSPACE:
>                 /*
>                  * Allocate an exact sized fragment. Although this makes
>                  * best use of space, we will waste time relocating it if
>                  * the file continues to grow. If the fragmentation is
>                  * less than half of the minimum free reserve, we choose
>                  * to begin optimizing for time.
>                  */
>                 request = nsize;
>                 if (fs->fs_minfree <= 5 ||	<<<<<<<< shouldn't 5 be MINFREE instead ??

MINFREE/2.

The 5 is based on the historical default of 10%.

This assumes MINFREE is a non-runtime adjustable manifest constant, right?

The compare is a magic cookie to force space optimization even if the
user has requested otherwise, since the user may run out of space very
soon.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---