Date:      Mon, 27 Sep 1999 14:11:52 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
To:        nate@mt.sri.com (Nate Williams)
Cc:        cjclark@home.com, Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca (Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group), dillon@apollo.backplane.com (Matthew Dillon), freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dump(8) Insecurity/Misconfiguration

> > > [
> > > Rod asserts that using SSH for backups is a revenue-generating task, and
> > > as such violates the 'free' use of the SSH license.
> > > ]

> > > I've got the dog turd, so the bet is on.
> >
> > Okay.  Who do I call or email??
>
> www.datafellows.com
>
> However, realize that ignorance is somewhat bliss here, so don't go off
> sicking DataFellows on a bunch of unsuspecting people because of the way
> you define what backups are.

I'm pretty good at playing a stupid luser who just wants to know if he
can do this or not...  :-)

> > > However, $2K/seat is alot of money for an ISP to charge for something as
> > > trivial as backups, especially when minimum cost is $4K (one for the
> > > tape server, and one for the remote client).
> >
> > Hummmm.... twice what a reasonable capacity tape drive is a bit much!!
> > But it is much less than some of the backup solutions we have done for
> > clients, with DLT robots and such.
> >
> > > It's simply not worth it, IMO.
> >
> > It could be worth it, if Licenese violations where at concerned the
> > normal allowable damages would far exceed the $4K.
> >
> > The real simple solution for this person is to simply go use amanda,
> > that is how we eliminated this whole issue!
>
> Amanda doesn't solve the security issue. :(

I beg to differ, it goes a long ways to fixing the security problems
that rdump/rsh introduce.  It uses it's own daemon with it's own
.amandahosts file with it's own protocol.  It can easily be filtered
at boarders, and you can't use the username to even log in if things
are done correctly.

IMHO, it is more secure than a dump run over ssh, unless you also needed
to connection encrypted, which could be hacked into amanda easy enough.

--
Rod Grimes - KD7CAX - (RWG25)                    rgrimes@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net