Date:      Sat, 18 Aug 2001 22:55:44 -0700
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obscurity.org>
Subject:   Re: New kernel option CPU_ENABLE_SSE

On Thu Aug 16, 2001  3:03 pm, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 16, 2001 at 06:00:40PM -0400, Kenneth W Cochran wrote:
> > Ok, so how can I tell if a given CPU supports that feature?
> > > I see a "feature list" in the kernel startup, and in the
> > case of a Pentium-III, SSE is at the "end" of that list; is
> > that the Definitive Indicator?  If so, what's to keep the
> > kernel from detecting and enabling it (per config-option,
> > for example)?  (kernel complexity, for example...)
>
> Yeah, it could probably be done that way.

It *is* done that way.  CPU_ENABLE_SSE only compiles in the support
code.  If you compile it in, it looks for the 'SSE' flag in the
cpu_features bits and adapts at runtime to the presense of the FXSR and
SSE bits.  You cannot use SSE without FXSR.

It was done as an option for now for conservative reasons.  After 4.4, I
think the support code should be made a negative option (ie: XX_NO_SSE to
compile *out* the support code), and a tunable to disable support for it at
boot time as well.

However, the issue of this affecting FreeBSD as a vmware "guest" OS
has been raised, even without CPU_ENABLE_SSE active.  This is not supposed
to happen, the only practical change that the code does without the option
active is increase the size of the PCB.  I am wondering if that is causing
stack overflows under vmware now.   Can anybody else confirm or deny
whether 4.4-RC with (and without) CPU_ENABLE_SSE works under vmware?

Cheers,
-Peter