Date:      Mon, 4 Aug 1997 10:14:33 +0000 (GMT)
From:      "Jonathan A. Zdziarski" <jonz@netrail.net>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   SetUID

Not sure if this is the right forum for this but...

I recently, in an attempt to make my FreeBSD  a litle more system Vish
like I'm used to, create a set of /sbin/init.d scripts to start and stop
services, and wired this and rc3.d into /etc/rc.  It works fine, but then
I took it a step further, and made the noc-executable, and noc-setuid root
so that anybody in the noc could restart them without having to be in sudo
for it.  For some odd reason (and this may just be a FreeBSD thing that
I'm not used to), I get the error that the script doesn't have permission
to kill the current running process (most which are running as root) even
though it's setuid (I've tried setuid and setgid as well).  Now I'm used
to setuid programs running AS root - having basically superuser abilities,
but that appears to be different here.  Could someone explain to me how to
set up a setuid program that acts like its a real setuid program (su) to
do something like this?

Jonathan A. Zdziarski                                NetRail Incorporated
Server Engineering Manager                    230 Peachtree St. Suite 500
jonz@netrail.net                                        Atlanta, GA 30303
http://www.netrail.net                                    (888) - NETRAIL