Date:      Wed, 24 May 2023 23:32:45 +0100
From:      Jamie Landeg-Jones <jamie@catflap.org>
To:        jamie@catflap.org, gad@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: MOTD is not created correctly (since 2022/02/18)

Garance A Drosehn <gad@FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> Not that it helps you much, but I did notice it and have an alternate
> version of rc.d/motd on my own systems.  I had no particular attachment
> to the earlier format, so my motd starts out by printing the two lines
> of:
> ```
>      -KU 1302505 1302505 -b 18fa15f83c483db67b818e3a48bbb312908754b1
> FreeBSD 13.2-STABLE (Garance-13x) #0 -- Fri May  5 17:53:55 EDT 2023

I too was actually not all that fussed with the old style, but the
multiple spaces in the output bugged me, so I was going to change it
back, when I stumbled on the issue.

I actually have closer to yours in my ssh-banner:

****************** <catflap.dyslexicfish.net> ******************
 FreeBSD/amd64 13.2-STABLE - Build 1302505 (May 13, 2023)
       23:25 BST      up 1 01:30       0.16,  0.18,  0.16
                          -- SOD OFF IF YOU AREN'T AUTHORISED

> But I thought that committing that would trigger a bikeshed debate, so I
> also have an option to produce the output we previously had.  And given
> that no one seemed to be complaining about the "full uname" version, I
> figured I had an option for that too.  And then I thought all these
> options
> were overkill and would trigger and even longer debate, so I never
> brought
> the ideas forward.   :)

:-)

Oh yeah, definitely! It would be worse than the fractional seconds in
sleep(1) debate!

Cheers, for the response,
Jamie