Date:      Fri, 21 Sep 2007 12:49:28 +0200
From:      Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Writing contigiously to UFS2?

--------------enig5CF3686197E6B1275D584F4E

Fluffles wrote:
> Hello list,
>=20
> I've setup a concat of 8 disks for my new NAS, using ataidle to spindow=
n=20
> the disks not needed. This allows me to save power and noise/heat by=20
> running only the drives that are actually in use.
>=20
> My problem is UFS. UFS2 seems to write to 4 disks, even though all the =

There 4 drives are used in what RAID form? If it's RAID0/stripe, you=20
can't avoid data being spread across the drives (since this is the point =

of having RAID0).

> data written so far can easily fit on just one disk. What's going on=20
> here? I looked at newfs parameters, but in the past was unable to make =

> newfs write contigiously. It seems UFS2 always writes to a new cylinder=
=2E=20
> Is there any way to force UFS to write contigiously? Or at least limit =

> the problem?

If the drives are simply concatenated, then there might be weird=20
behaviour in choosing what cylinder groups to allocate for files. UFS=20
forces big files to be spread across cylinder groups so that no large=20
file fills entire cgs.