Date:      Thu, 02 Jun 2005 10:05:50 +0100
From:      Alex Zbyslaw <xfb52@dial.pipex.com>
To:        "Anthony M. Agelastos" <iqgrande@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: portupgrade & make options

Anthony M. Agelastos wrote:

> After issuing many make options to mplayer when installing, I noticed
> today that it can be updated. If I were to do a portupgrade -arR,
> would it remember the various options? I am sure this is a common
> question, but I could not find a resolute solution after reading the
> handbook and doing some searching online. I found that the primary
> answer is that portupgrade cannot deal with this. What I have found
> is that one can configure the MAKE_ARGS in pkgtools.conf somehow. I
> have also found that there is some other tool (penv) that is used to
> help out with this as well. What way is recommended? I know some
> ports save this configuration information in /var/db/ports/ (I am
> pretty sure that's the directory)... how can one force a port to save
> such information? Or, is mimicking those files one other way of doing
> what it is I wish? Any and all information on this would be greatly
> appreciated. I checked the man page with pkgtools.conf and did not
> see anything helpful. Thank you all for your assistance with this.

Keeping the options file under /var/db/ports/{portname} is a function of
each individual port (i.e. some do it, many (expecially older ones)
don't).  AFAIK creating the options file for a port which does not
create one, won't help you.

Configuring your defaults in pkgtools.conf is the easiest way to go, but
there is no guarantee that an individual port (e.g. samba?) won't then
ask you anyway using a popup screen.  Not sure what you mean by " found
that the primary  answer is that portupgrade cannot deal with this"
since this is exactly the software which uses pkgtools.conf.  The man
page is rather sparse but the file is self-documenting -- i.e. read it
and do what it says!

In pkgtools.conf look for the MAKE_ARGS section and add you entry.  Some
examples from mine:

        'print/ghostscript-gnu' => 'A4=yes',
        'www/mozilla' => 'WITH_JAVASCRIPT_DEBUGGER=1 WITHOUT_CHATZILLA=1',
        'www/apache20' => 'WITHOUT_IPV6=1 WITH_AUTH_MODULES=1
WITH_LDAP_MODULES=1 WITH_MISC_MODULES=1 WITH_PRO
XY_MODULES=1 WITH_THREADS_MODULES=1 WITH_SUEXEC_MODULES=1 WITH_DBM=bdb
WITH_BERKELEYDB=FreeBSD',

Don't forget the comma at the end of each line and to quote your
options.  I've no idea how portupgrade et al. cope if there is a newline
in the options string, so I make sure there isn't one.

--Alex